12 THINGS TO DO INSTEAD OF EATING JUNK FOOD
By Chef K.T. Murphy
You Can DO This
- Go for a walk and take Fido with you. When you go for a walk you give your body a chance to release those same feel-good chemicals that eating junk will release.
- Get those chores done. Take your cravings away and stay productive too by distracting yourself by finishing your chores.
- Craft your cravings away. When you feel a huge craving get busy with your favorite hobby.
- Talk on the phone. Sometimes we crave food simply because we are bored. Take the opportunity to talk with a loved one and distract yourself from your craving.
- Drink water. Sometimes people mistake hunger for thirst. Drinking 16 ounces of water and waiting 30 minutes before eating anything may be just the distraction you need.
- Clean your desk/work area/house. Clutter and chaos can increase stress and anxiety that causes food cravings. Cleaning your work area may decrease your stress and provide you with a great distraction from your craving.
- Take the steamed broccoli test. To test for real hunger, ask yourself if you would eat steamed vegetables, if the answer is yes, then eat a healthy meal to stop the junk craving.
- Take a nap. Fatigue makes your body crave carbs, and can trick you into mistaken hunger so sleep can kick your craving to the curb.
- Do a brainteaser. If boredom is causing your craving, then a brainteaser or puzzle will help you ignore the junk food cravings.
- Keep your hands busy. Do something with your hand that makes it impossible to eat, this will also distract you from the craving
- Go to a movie.
- Look at a picture of your overweight self that you hate the most.
All the best, Good Food makes For Better Decisions.